One of my favorite secret weapons and leadership quotes is:
“The very core of leadership is that you need to have vision. You can’t blow a hesitant trumpet.” This is what the famous scholar Theodore M. Hesburgh
Leadership is a very desirable attribute of every successful person no matter what type of business they are in. And if you talk about business then leadership is a must for carrying on your tasks effectively. Thus, every successful entrepreneur embraces some leadership quality within them.
But reality is, being a leader is not that easy. Everyone is not a leader; in fact we cannot be a leader if there are no followers. Many people believe leadership as such is a human trait that is possibly related to genetics; that people inherit their leadership skills by birth. A leader possesses some unique qualities that allow them to easily motivate others. Let’s take a few minutes to review the different qualities or skills good leaders possess.
2 Main Secret Weapons
- The first is – as a leader you need to have a unique ideology. If you look at the great business leaders such as Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Sam Walton you will find each of them has their own ideology which allows them to step out and up, easily reaching such a top position. So, the very first thing of leadership is having unique ideology. Begin thinking about what makes you unique as an individual and how this translates into you being or becoming the great leader you want to be.
- Secondly, a leader needs to have passion toward their work and tasks. Passion is all about being confident so you are able to ‘own’ work results you produce. Through your own passion, as a leader you are able to motivate your followers. A successful leader creates a great example by performing and completing similar tasks that show their followers the ‘how’ of business.
3 Tools Every Leader Requires
- Organization. Every successful leader needs to be well organized. A disorganized leader can’t lead; at best he can give order. If you’re fatigued and confused, your squad will also be. If you are structured your productivity will increase and so will that of everyone else. Thus, the overall productivity of a business firm will increase. As a leader you hold the responsibility to set the level of expectation of work performance and productivity.
- Work Delegation. Proper job distribution is an important issue. A great leader needs be able to allot or delegate effectively. The appropriate job distribution provides employees the feeling of ownership and results in the employees performing their positions more effectively. Delegating doesn’t mean you as a leader get to wash your hands of responsibility, it means you are empowering your employees to be independent while building mutual trust.
- Communication. A critical factor that affects leadership process. A good leader needs to send proper messages to their employees. Being able to effectively communicate the ‘how, what, where and when’ of delegated tasks is one side of the equation. The other is recognizing a job well done and solution focused productivity. As a leader, it is important for you to communicate when you recognize and appreciate these qualities in your employees as it lends to increased trust and loyalty.
Other Secret Weapons to Consider
People need certification; they want to be recognized in their positions. And you as their leader need to tell them. Not only do you provide the praise and constructive feedback to our team members, but you also need to be a good listener. If you want to be a leader, you need to give proper attention to the feedback your employees provide – no matter how difficult it might be to hear. Giving proper attention meaning undivided attention to people makes them feel you are honestly trying to understand their issue which motivates them even more.
As a quality leader you need to be open to getting to know your employees personally; you don’t need to be friends, but you need to know what motivates them. In this case knowing something about their personal lives helps to serve this purpose. Keeping track of simple things like birthdays, marriages, children, etc goes a long way to increasing loyalty and morale.
Entrepreneurs & Leadership
As an entrepreneur, you are also a leader which means you need to have a combination of all the above mentioned qualities or at least be working on attaining them. Being a leader means being enthusiastic and confident and feeling motivated yourself. A good leader is a good human being; someone who cares for their followers and thinks about them as individuals when seeking solutions for challenges. Now with all this in mind – get moving and begin leading!
Being a good leader overnight is rarely possible. Rather, time and practice shows the path. If you have the mind set up to direct your followers as well as to learn from them along your journey with them, you will be treated as a good leader for sure.